Wednesday 18 November 2015

Different Types of Green Snakes

I want my snake woman to be green, and so I need to know what types of different green snakes there are and where they live, so that I can model my character correctly on it.

Boomslang


The Boomslang snake is poisonous with haemotoxic venom that kills your red blood cells and causes respiratory arrest and haemorrhaging which will make you bleed from all orifices in what could possibly be a slow, painful process. 

The Boomslang lives in sub-saharan Africa and are not only green but an array of colours including red. They are not generally aggressive and can be found relaxing in trees, however with this powerful venom they have the ability to cause a horrible death if angered. 

What I like about the boomslang is that they can cause such a grim death which I think is a suitable characteristic for my character as she is dangerous, and this deadly weapon the snakes carry will be a reason as to why she is royal, high up and feared by many. I also like the fact that they are not just leaf green but can be red also. However what I don't like about the Boomslang is that they live in sub-saharan areas, and I wanted my character to live in the jungle/rainforest, and so this means this snake doesn't have the perfect characteristics for my character. 

Vine Snake


The vine snake lives in several rainforests in the world, meaning there is variety for my character. 

The vine snake is the perfect hunter; it blends into its green surroundings and can silently attack its prey without too much effort. The shaping of its eyes and nose means that its vision stretches extremely far. This snake is venomous but not necessarily dangerous to humans if it is the asian version, which is the rainforest version. 

This snake could be the perfect snake for my character. It has a yellow underbelly, green body and red eyes which encompass the colours that I want to include. It is slender and has a unique face compared to conventional snakes, which I find mesmerising and I think this is more human-like than a normal snake. Its adaption to hunting and living in rainforest climates is what I want my snake hybrid to be like as she will be an expert in all things to do with survival in the rainforest/jungle. They are small but fierce, like that of my character. 


Western Green Mamba


The Western Green Mamba is a snake that lives in rainforest areas of west Africa who's venom is extremely venomous to humans, meaning it is strong and dangerous. 

The snake is persistent when chasing its prey and will almost always catch it, then using its venom to suppress the prey. Moreover, the snake does not have any predators aside from humans and birds of prey, however my human hybrid will not be a prey to humans and will be too big for birds of prey to catch, so it will be pretty much at the top of the food chain. 

I think this is the perfect snake for my character as it is sleek, agile, clever and dangerous. It has the right colourings, lives in the correct habitat of the rainforest, has extremely poisonous venom and is not hunted by anything. This will be the snake that my hybrid is half of.

What I also like in this photo is that the formation of its skin around the mouth is different to the scales of its body, and I can use this formation on the eyebrows or head of my character. 


Resources/Sources

Alford, J. (2014) Deadly Boomslang snake venom makes you bleed from all of your orifices until you die. Available at: http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/deadly-boomslang-snake-venom-makes-you-bleed-all-your-orifices-until-you-die (Accessed: 15 November 2015).

Adams, M. (no date) What kind of snake has green coloring?. Available at: http://animals.mom.me/kind-snake-green-coloring-2723.html (Accessed: 15 November 2015).

Western green mamba (2012) Available at: http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Western_green_mamba (Accessed: 15 November 2015).

No comments:

Post a Comment