Wednesday 18 November 2015

Snakes

For my look, I need to research the characteristics of snakes and also their shedding process. This is to make sure that my look is anatomically correct while also looking good.

Shedding:

When snakes are about to shed, their skin becomes drab, their eyes become cloudy and the snake becomes disorientated. However when the skin starts to come off, the snake regains normality. The skin sheds from the nose to the tail and takes almost 2 weeks.

This is relevant for my look in that I need to know where the skin sheds from, so that my look is accurate as I want the skin to shed from the head down. From my research now I know that this is anatomically accurate to snakes.

Scales:

The scales of the snake are partly their defence mechanism, it protects them from disease and damage. The scales are also waterproof.



I am also going to use these images as reference images when creating my scales so that they are accurate as there is no point creating shapes that do not look like this as it will not be obvious that she is a snake. I would also like to replicate this red and yellow pattern to contrast with the green. 

Crocodile eye:

As a reptilian reference, I looked at a crocodile's eye to see how its skin is formed, as I want the eyebrows of my character to be reptilian, and as snakes don't have eyebrows I thought that this would be a good inspiration and add to the hybrid aspect.


When looking at this I see it is important to note that not all of the shapes are the same size and the same shape, so I do not need to make sure that all of the shapes are the same. 


Resources:

PETEDUCATION.COM., (Date unknown). Snake Shedding: Ecdysis and Dysecdysis [viewed November 2015]. Available from: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=17+1831&aid=1648

Smithsonian National Zoological Park., (Date Unknown). Snake Skin: Beauty...and Function [viewed November 2015].


No comments:

Post a Comment