Monday 30 November 2015

First Practice

I practiced my look in order to decipher what products I would use for the skin, and how to make the hair look how I want it to.

Firstly, I tested on my arm the difference between supracolour (on my hand) and aqua colour (on my arm). What I found with the supracolour was that it gave a natural green colour, however the skin underneath is still visible. This could be rectified with more layers, however I still felt as if this was too light to create a realistic effect that my character's skin is really green. In addition to this, I used a dark green eyeshadow on it to see what it would look like when I contoured, and this gave a strange dark colour that didn't look natural and didn't match the green I created with supracolour. 

Contrastingly I found that the aqua colour was not the right green colour, it is too much of a dark mint colour that i did not think was stereotypical of a green snake. However I thought that I might be able to rectify this by adding white and yellow to make it more natural. However what I liked about the aqua colour is that it is matte and fast drying so I don't have to worry about it sliding off while creating my look, it is also thick so there is no sign of the skin underneath. However I think that this thick, matte effect does not look natural. In addition to this, I used the dark green eyeshadow on this and it did not work either. Despite this, I decided to try the look with aqua colour. 


 

To create this hair, I used two different hair extensions wrapped around Sylwia's ponytail. Her hair is mid to long length naturally, so I had to find hair that would extend as long as I required when in a ponytail. I also think that these extensions are a perfect colour match on her hair.

I achieved this look by firstly putting Sylwia's natural hair into a ponytail. Next, I took one hair extension that had a slide in fastening, which made it not possible to wrap around, so I slid it in the underside of the ponytail at the top. After this, I wrapped the other hair extension around the ponytail many times. This gave an effective thick effect and also was not visible on the hair. These two extensions gave the perfect long, thick look for the ponytail. After this, I used small elastic hairbands to partition the hair and give the look that I created in my drawings.

The downside to this hairstyle is that Sylwia has bonds in the front of her hair, so my original idea to have the whole of the front of the hair pulled back would not work. Instead, I have decided to pull back as much of the hair as I can, and then use her fringe to cover the bonds but flatten the hair down as much as possible. However overall, the practice of the hair went very successfully.

 

 

Not having the prosthetic yet, I had to improvise where it would be with paint as this practice was mostly about getting the green colour right as it will cover quite a percentage of Sylwia's upper body. The aqua colour looks alright on my iPhone camera, however in real life it did not give the effect that I wanted. It was too thick and did not look realistic, and it was still also not the right colour. I also found that once it had dried, I couldn't go over with more without the product underneath displacing and revealing skin tone. I also found that the thickness and drying of it meant that it was not easy to blend into the hairline. Therefore after this practice, I decided that aqua colour would not be suitable and that I would need to practice with supracolour.

In addition to this, I felt as if I had made the eyeliner too thick, and the eyelashes were too long. Now after this practice I know that the eyeliner will look better with thinner lines, and that I will need to cut the eyelashes so as to not dwarf Sylwia's eyes.

Despite this, I was very pleased with how to ponytail went. I was apprehensive about using two different types of hair extensions, however both worked well together and the colour matching was perfect. The only thing that I will need to change is to take the fringe out and fasten it to the head, and to make sure that the bonds aren't visible.

My next step is to practice using supracolour for the green skin, and to practice the peeling skin effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment