Tuesday 6 October 2015

Brainstorming

Fork wound situations- what is a realistic scenario in which someone will be injured with a fork? I wrote down all my ideas and also my housemates' ideas on a mind map:


I thought that the food fight was the most realistic situation that I would be able to create and shoot in the studio. And from my previous research, I think that a scratch wound would be interesting and a challenge for me. The injuries that entail being impaled would be too complicated for me in my opinion, I would like a surface wound that I will feel confident to create on my first attempt of creating a wound.

Once I had decided my situation, I needed to think of where this food fight would likely occur. This meant creating another mind map and also consulting my housemates again:


Here are the food fight ideas. 

Old people's home: with this idea I thought that I would be able to utilise other skills that I have learnt in our lessons such as applying wigs and old age makeup. However this would require using a lot of different products, and also buying a range of different clothes for the costume as old age clothes would not be freely accessible to me. 

School: The costume for a school scenario would be accessible to me as my housemates and I will have clothes that are school-like. I thought that a realistic scenario would be a food fight at school gone too far, and/or bullying. Moreover, I can still apply different makeup techniques such as making my character look angry, upset and flustered. 

Prison: For this look I would have to buy a prison jumpsuit which would be costly, however would be effective characterisation as the viewer would straight away realise that they are a prisoner. In addition to this, I would be able to use the bald cap technique that we are going to learn, and probably also the facial hair technique. This would show that I am using and applying my learning from this year. I think that a food fight at a prison is a believable scenario too. 

Restaurant: I don't think this is a very likely scenario. Also I am not sure how I could add to the characterisation in a studio to make it obvious that the character has got into a fight in a restaurant. 

Student Halls: I feel like the costume for this could be achieved but not believable. I would put the character in a freshers t-shirt, but I don't think it's likely that a student would be wearing this in a casual situation in halls. 

Family meal: I think that the characterisation of this would be difficult to link with the setting as I am not sure how I would be able to set up a family meal in the studio. Moreover, like in some of the situations, the costume will not make it obvious as to what the situation the character is in. 

After much deliberation, I have chosen to base my character on a schoolgirl who gets into a food fight at school that goes wrong. I feel as if the fork scratch on the face is a likely scenario as a feisty student can go too far in an argument and go for my character's face. Also, I think that the characterisation will be easier and more recognisable for the viewer, especially as it will be shot in the studio and this means that the costume and makeup will need to be observable. 

I found brainstorming extremely useful in that I found that ideas I thought would be feasible actually were not the more that I wrote down and thought about the pros and cons. 


No comments:

Post a Comment