Tuesday 6 October 2015

Placement of the Wound and Anatomy

I would like to place my wound on the cheek, and the tool will be a normal dinner fork. This way the wound won't be too big, and it will have been created in a realistic situation, like a heated debate over dinner. When it comes to the cheek, I need to be aware of the layers of skin and what the wound will look like, especially when fresh. Being freshly made, the wound won't have had time for infection, and so I will only have to deal with fresh flesh, blood and cut skin.

The bottom layer of the cheek are the muscles, above that is subcutaneous fat which is covered by the skin. However due to the fact that my injury will be caused by an everyday fork, I don't think it will be able to go as far down as the fat.

This image shows a cheek that has been surgically cut. The open wound is so deep that the fat is visible, and I wanted to use this as an example to show that my wound will not go down that far and so will not be showing this later of the cheek. 

This diagram of the layers of the cheek shows the layer of skin on the top and the superficial fat underneath. Due to the freshness of my wound, I don't believe that this will be visible as the wound will be filled with dark blood. However if I were to create a deep, old-ish wound this would be something to consider. 



References:

MedicalTerms., (Year of Publication Unknown). Lips Cheeks and Palate. Generic Look.com Medical Encyclopedia [viewed 06/10/2015]. Available from: http://medicalterms.info/anatomy/Lips-Cheeks-And-Palate/

Medscape., 2014. Image of cheek reconstruction [digital image] [viewed 06/10/2015]. Available from: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1129354-overview 29424.jpg

Anderhuber, F., 2012. Cross section image of a cheek [digital pdf image] [viewed 06/10/2015]. Available from: http://www.researchgate.net/publication/221690462_Anatomy_of_the_Cheek_Implications_for_Soft_Tissue_Augmentation

No comments:

Post a Comment