Tuesday 6 October 2015

Introduction to the Project

For as long as I can remember I have always been creative and wanted to endeavour in creative practices, which went from making my own magazines from scratch to constructing my own houses from shoeboxes and cardboard boxes. Through the years I discovered that makeup is my favourite artistic interest and since then have desired to be able to engage in makeup and learn the vast array of  techniques in order to recreate looks and effects that interested me on television and in movies. My favourite genres of film are science fiction, action, thriller and fantasy which are stereotypically associated with special effects makeup, and so this aspect of the course is one which I have been looking forward to for a long while.

I don't have much experience in special effects makeup. I went to sixth form instead of college, and there I did English Literature, English Language, Geography and Media which meant that I was unable to learn makeup, especially this type, and so my only chance was to practice at home with whatever materials I had available. Despite this, I found my Media A-level extremely helpful, especially now in 2nd year. I had exposed myself to a wide range of movies, both because of my love of film and because of the A level, and I learnt how to dissect movies rather than just appreciating their surface value, therefore I gained the skill of understanding the different elements of a movie and their importance. This included analysing costume and makeup; not just its aesthetic value but its metaphorical value and its significance.

I know that at the beginning of this unit I will find it quite hard to grasp everything and remember every single process, however once I get into the routine of consistently practicing I know that I will really enjoy it and gully immerse myself. It is important that I write down everything that I learn so that I have it for reference because special effects makeup is very technical and the health and safety elements are extremely imperative, which makes me paranoid about not doing a process right or contaminating my products. I am also afraid of having creative blocks and not creating things that I'm completely proud which was my problem last year, however I have learned from my mistakes and realise how important practice and research is. Knowing this, I am willing to tackle any challenges I am faced with and I am ready to put the work in.

No comments:

Post a Comment